[sdiy] Mozart on a Karplus-Strong 16 Voice

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Dec 16 01:19:15 CET 2017

Hi Scott,

Seems to me that you should be able to find an arrangement of a piece by Mozart or some other composer for up to 16 different instruments, and then play that MIDI file to a multi-timbral setup with your synth. Assuming your hardware can handle multiple MIDI channels, each with a different MIDI Preset active, you could show off many of the different settings that you think sound good, all within a single piece of music that’s already been arranged to blend different tones into a single coherent piece.

If you don’t already support multi-timbral setups (e.g. MIDI Mode 3 or MIDI Mode 4), then you might have to rearrange your firmware to separate the processor-intensive effects from the voicing parameters - otherwise the CPU might not be able to handle multiple settings at the same time. In other words, the synthesizer itself should be easy to convert to multi-timbral support, and you could place the chorus on a bus where it is shared among different voice settings.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting