[sdiy] Question about Envelopes

Matthias Herrmann matthias.herrmann at fonik.de
Sun Dec 10 19:13:49 CET 2017

Both "Einhüllende" und "Hüllkurve" are German words coming from and used in mathematics. And indeed they are used for synthesizer functions just as "envelope", which is coming from mathematics as well.

So while we know where it comes from, we still don't know why - which was the OT question. At some point someone must have coined the term "envelope" based on his personal experience and history. A little bit hard to find out, i guess.

Cheers,

Matthias