[sdiy] Question about Envelopes

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Sun Dec 10 18:02:06 CET 2017

Den 30 nov. 2017 09:22 skrev "Michael Zacherl" <sdiy-mz01 at blauwurf.info>:

> On 30 Nov 2017, at 05:43, Chromatest J. Pantsmaker <
chromatest at azburners.org> wrote:
> That wasn't good enough for her, and I don't have a better answer.

Looking at other languages the german translation of the noun would be
“Einhüllende” which is similar to the verb “einhüllen”.
Looking up that verb in the dictionary and cross-checking returns “to
enfold”, “to enwrap”, "to coat” and such, which I picture with what happens
when applying and ENV.

"Hüllkurve" is another German variant that can be found in synthesizer
nomenclature. The related Swedish word for "Hülle" is "hölje", which would
be quite a poetic wording - but in mathematics the term seems to be the
imported word "envelopp" instead.

If the word "envelope" doesn't feel strict enough for general synth use,
why not choose Moog's preferred term "contour"? I find it both descriptive
and elegant.

Anyway, all this envelope business can be seen as a kind of post
processing. ;-)


Sent from my e-mail
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://synth-diy.org/pipermail/synth-diy/attachments/20171210/f5ea831e/attachment.htm>

More information about the Synth-diy mailing list