[sdiy] HP from LP ?

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Tue Aug 1 02:29:38 CEST 2017

As others have said, it depends on the filter.

For a four-pole cascaded-stage filter, you can get four different highpass
modes by summing the filter stage outputs and the feedback + input in
various gain ratios.  If the gain ratios are given for the {Feedback+Input,
Stage 1 Output, Stage 2 Output, Stage 3 Output, Stage 4 Output}, then:

 6dB HP: {1,1,0,0,0}

12dB HP: {1,2,1,0,0}

18dB HP: {1,3,3,1,0}

24dB HP: {1,4,6,4,1}

For example, the 24dB HP can be realized by taking the 5 signals into an
inverting opamp with a 30.1k feedback resistor with the following 1%
standard input resistor values:

{30.1k, 7.50k, 4.99k, 7.50k, 30.1k}

The challenge is to find a set of resistor values which give the proper
ratios.  I've used 30.1k for the Polaris (which generates about 22 different
modes using this scheme) and have found 1% values which get close for all
the required ratios (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24 and 32).

Of course, an SVF gives a highpass output directly.