[sdiy] SynthDIY vs guitarDIY?

mratx at aol.com mratx at aol.com
Sat Sep 3 21:40:55 CEST 2016

I suspect there would be no shortage of takers if you were to set up a business selling wooden cheeks for DIY guitar pedals. Burbinga, please!

As someone with a foot in both groups, I have to say that synth DIY is far more complicated and varied, and while there is not a shortage of very knowledgeable guitar DIY people,  the average guitar project is much less complicated. So the technical entry level required to get started is pretty low.  Combined with the greater number of guitarists, you get a lot more people participating. A lot of synth DIY discussions are over my head, not the case with most of the DIY guitar stuff.

 I do more amp stuff than pedal stuff, and even the most complicated amp project uses far fewer parts and is much simpler than most synth DIY projects. The Yocto kit I have next to me probably has more parts than 5-10 complete guitar amps.  25 if we're talking Fender champs.

Also, other than germanium transistors and analog delay chips, the parts for guitar stuff is always available, at least if you're willing to just use a modern equivalent and don't need a transformer with the same type of paper and wire used by Leo Fender in 1962 or whatever. Although that's a bad example, since people have recreated all of that stuff.  Because you have to use the correct cloth insulated wire to hook up your heaters, or you don't have the right mojo.

Mark