[sdiy] SynthDIY vs guitarDIY?

Andre Majorel aym-htnys at teaser.fr
Sat Sep 3 13:31:37 CEST 2016

On 2016-09-02 16:45 -0700, Barry Klein wrote:

> During some internet browsing on synthDIY interests I got off
> on a guitar electronics tangent and became amazed at the
> number of forums supporting guitarDIY and the number of
> kits/boards available.
>
> I???m sure some of you participate in both.  Please comment on
> how they compare in customer knowledge, market size, maturity,
> and anything else you could add.

The usual guitar pedal circuit is powered by a single +9 V rail
which complicates sharing circuits between the two worlds. Also,
power consumption is a bigger deal for guitar pedals.

Unless by "guitar DIY" you meant amps ?

I'm also under the impression that the average ratio of
fetishism to rationality + technical insight is somewhat higher
amongst guitar DIY enthusiasts than synth DIY enthusiasts. But
that may be my personal bias. At least they're not into wooden
cheeks...