[sdiy] Digisound SVF no resonance

Andrew Simper andy at cytomic.com
Thu Sep 1 03:40:27 CEST 2016

Hi Nick,

Ok, thanks for pointing that out, the logic remains the same. It
doesn't matter which SVF you use, you don't need to alter the existing
damping gain stage part of the circuit, the point is to add some
positive feedback around the bandpass stage, this pushes the damping
into effectively negative values otherwise it would be only near zero.
If the CEM 3320 has non-inverting inputs and non-inverting buffers
(which looks to be the case because of the way the SVF is wired) then
it's just a matter of placing a largish resistor from bandpass buffer
output to the bandpass input.

Now doing this isn't ideal since it changes the high pass output to
make it less ideal. Having a quick look again at the equation you are
better off adding some positive feedback of the bandpass signal
directly into the high pass summing op-amp as this will preserve the
high pass shape. So looking at the CEM 3320 SVF that would mean taking
then dc blocked bandpass output at the top of C5 (neg side of cap) and
connecting that to the positive input of the IC1 opamp with a 270k or
so resistor.

Cheers,

Andy