[sdiy] Incremental encoder to up / down counter or pots and an ADC

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 01:34:11 CET 2016

This sort of failure of encoders is unfortunately quite common.  We had a
lab at work full of high-end Agilent (Keysight) function generators that all
had to have their incremental encoders replaced.  Not because they were worn
out from too much use, but because they weren't being used often enough!
Something about oil seepage into the electrical contacts when the part isn't
used for a long time.  Unfortunately each faulty encoder made the parameter
being adjusted jump around in a random fashion, and rendered that £3k piece
of equipment unusable until it was replaced.

-Richie,