[sdiy] Incremental encoder to up / down counter or pots and an ADC

sleepy_dog at gmx.de sleepy_dog at gmx.de
Tue Nov 29 23:39:41 CET 2016

I bought a bunch of those some years ago. In the way they came, they had
a really hard indent, felt almost unpleasant.
I did not use them then, then checked them a few years after having them
laying around - for some funny reason, the indent is completely gone.
(some sort of chemical material decay?)  But also, one of the outputs
has now a garbage signal, so the encoder does not work anymore. Used to
work perfectly when new.
This is the case with all >20 pcs I bought.
I sourced them elsewhere than sparkfun, but I just looked at the
datasheet that sparkfun linked, it's the same I have here still as printout.
I asked sparkfun abuot this quite a while, they claim the thing is not
supposed to have indent.
Heh. Quite strange that is. My workplace ordered quite a bunch from some
korean seller who deals in bigger numbers more  even longer ago, they
also had the harsh indent and were supposed to be indented, so not sure
what sparkfun is telling.

I bought mine from some rather small time seller on ebay. Maybe those
were just dodgy, I don't know.
But perhaps don't buy 100 of them and plan to use them in gear that's to
last long ;-)

Steve

Am 29.11.2016 um 23:09 schrieb Vladimir Pantelic:
> https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10982
>
> but please dont buy them all, I need them for my modules :)
>

> On 29.11.2016 22:55, Tom Wiltshire wrote:
>> So I take it we can't find these illuminated incremental encoders
>> anywhere in a
>> version with threaded shafts and have to add our own threaded shaft
>> after the
>> fact? (since that is essentially what these are).
>>
>> Really? Not available threaded? Nowhere?!
>>
>> (It may be that not - that's why I'm asking. If I knew somewhere, I'd
>> tell you.)
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> On 29 Nov 2016, at 20:20, "Matthias Herrmann"
>> <matthias.herrmann at fonik.de
>> <mailto:matthias.herrmann at fonik.de>> wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody used axle bushings like these? they should keep some stress
>>> from the
>>> encoder: