[sdiy] Odp: Re: Incremental encoder to up / down counter or pots and an ADC

Roman modular at go2.pl
Tue Nov 29 22:17:37 CET 2016

That's what I've been looking for! Thank you!  I was almost ready to machine those myself...  Although I'd rather have one for 1/8'' shaft or 4mm, have you seen them anywhere?   Roman  Dnia 29 listopada 2016 21:24 Matthias Herrmann <matthias.herrmann at fonik.de> napisał(a):  Anybody used axle bushings like these? they should keep some stress
from the encoder:   www.reichelt.de       Von: Synth-diy
[mailto:synth-diy-bo  Im Auftrag von  Jean-Pierre
Desrochers    Gesendet:  Dienstag, 29. November 2016 21:00    An:  Tom Wiltshire    Cc: synth-diy at synth-diy.org    Betreff:  Re: [sdiy] Incremental encoder to up / down counter or pots and
an ADC    Hi Tom,  > A non-threaded shaft is never going to be tight in the first place, is it?  >  As long as the hole that that the encoder goes through is a nice tight fit ..

That's exactly the problem with MANY cheapo mixers that have too large holes  for the pot's shaft and these shafts are rocked in all the way  with no secure mecanical provision.. Even with a brand new console  you can 'feel' the loose the shafts have in their non supporting holes.  Sometimes companies like Fender (to name one) use small plastic  washers to fill the holes circular gaps for tightening the shafts in place.  These pots or encoders are too often used with too much of their shaft  going outside the metal front panel causing the premature mecanical  degradation. Try to imagine.. when you need to pull their knobs for repair  you fear of ripping these shaft out of the device..   JP    Le
2016-11-29 14:09, Tom Wiltshire a écrit :  +1 agree. This is a classic microcontroller job.     JP, what do you mean that these non-threaded shafts "get loose over time"? A non-threaded shaft is never going to be tight in the first place, is it? As long as the hole that that the encoder goes through is a nice tight fit, I don't see a particular problem (assuming the PCB is well supported). So what am I missing?     Thanks,  Tom           ______________________________  Synth-diy mailing list   Synth-diy at synth-diy.org  synth-diy.org synth-diy.org