[sdiy] Incremental encoder to up / down counter or pots and an ADC

Jean-Pierre Desrochers jpdesroc at oricom.ca
Tue Nov 29 17:40:37 CET 2016

Hi Mike,

The issue you face could be overcome by using a PIC micro
or any small dedicated cpu to read the encoders and output
voltages using DAC's.

For the encoders, well these are probably cheap to buy
but believe me this type of non threaded shaft tend to get
loose over time and you will face a non-reliability dilemma soon.
Remember, these will be used A LOT on your sequencer and you need
some type of threaded controls that will keep their shaft straight and
stable.

My 2 cents.

JP

Le 2016-11-29 11:28, Mike HEQX a écrit :

> Hi List Folks,
>
> I'm building a sequencer and I want to use these Bourns illuminated incremental encoders to select the note values instead of pots.
>
> http://www.bourns.com/docs/product-datasheets/PEL12S.pdf [1]
>
> My issue is spending over 3 dollars for this interface chip to drive an up down counter per step.
>
> http://www.usdigital.com/products/interfaces/ics/lfls7183 [2]
>
> Is there a cheaper way to do this or is it easier to go back to using pots and a flash ADC.
>
> Mike
>
> On 11/29/2016 9:51 AM, Vladimir Pantelic wrote:
> this comes to mind: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ca/a9/a3/caa9a38108d49eb6b94343e195ad561f.jpg [3] On 29.11.2016 15:23, Mike HEQX wrote: I like the idea of an earth grounded mesh on the wall behind the recording rig. It can't hurt even on a good day. This lath screen is what comes to mind. http://thestuccoguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Close-Up-View.jpg [4] On 11/29/2016 4:55 AM, Oakley Sound wrote: Wow. Thank you for all the replies and help. I got several PMs too and even a phone call. To answer a few questions: I have done the ferrite clamps and they seem to work on the hi-fi when added to the speaker and main cables. But I have yet to test this when he is outputting at full power. 20W causes a noticeable buzz on the Event monitors in my music area even with the audio cables unplugged and ferrites on the mains cable. At 60W then the buzz is so loud it's unusable and VCOs go out of tune. 60W is the maximum power output of his rig. I've no idea how mu
 ch ERP
is being developed. I've not asked him to see what happens when the antenna is pointed in any other direction. But when he was doing the tests it was around 45 degrees away from pointing directly at my house wall. Getting him to test it with a dummy load sounds a good idea - although it should be noted that the same rig driving a different but omnidirectional antenna causes no problems. We do share the same power and phase. The substation (step down transformer) is up a pole just outside my back garden and I'm the closest in the village to it. When pointing at my house his antenna is also pointing straight at the overhead power lines that feed my house. I will look into adding some capacitance across the bridge rectifier diodes of the modular power supply. His hi-fi is unaffected by it although it's more modern and the beam was not pointed across his house at the time of testing. His antenna is probably about as high as it can go on a single unsupported pole. We're both in bu
 ngalows
and the antenna is about as high as the apex of his roof. With the exception of the modular and the Event monitors everything that is affected is old and was built before the letters EMC meant anything. The Events are also liable to picking up mobile phone interference so I think it may be worthwhile getting some more 'rad hard' replacements for these. I may try some grounded chicken wire to create a shield but from various answers it seems that this may have little if no effect unless I go for the full cage which is impractical. However, that idea I had of buying an old shipping container and converting it to a home studio is starting to become more and more attractive. Tony _______________________________________________ Synth-diy mailing list Synth-diy at synth-diy.org http://synth-diy.org/mailman/listinfo/synth-diy [5] _______________________________________________ Synth-diy mailing list Synth-diy at synth-diy.org http://synth-diy.org/mailman/listinfo/synth-diy [5]

« L'indépendance, c'est comme un pont :
avant, personne n'en veut, après, tout le monde le prend. »
Félix Leclerc

--
« L'indépendance, c'est comme un pont :
avant, personne n'en veut, après, tout le monde le prend. »
Félix Leclerc

Links:
------
[1] http://www.bourns.com/docs/product-datasheets/PEL12S.pdf