[sdiy] Incremental encoder to up / down counter or pots and an ADC

Mike HEQX mike at heqx.com
Tue Nov 29 17:28:34 CET 2016

Hi List Folks,

  I'm building a sequencer and I want to use these Bourns illuminated
incremental encoders to select the note values instead of pots.

http://www.bourns.com/docs/product-datasheets/PEL12S.pdf

My issue is spending over 3 dollars for this interface chip to drive an
up down counter per step.

http://www.usdigital.com/products/interfaces/ics/lfls7183

Is there a cheaper way to do this or is it easier to go back to using
pots and a flash ADC.

Mike