[sdiy] Barron ringmod

Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 00:44:47 CEST 2016

On 21 May 2016 at 18:59, bbob <fluxmonk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a page about Bebe & Louis Barron, Barry Schrader includes what looks like
> a notebook page w/ an odd ring-mod schematic:
>
> http://www.barryschrader.com/blog/bebe_barron_1925_2008
> http://barryschrader.com.hostbaby.com/img/Bebe_Barron/Barron_Circuit.jpg
>
> Any ideas what's going on w/ the zeners in the middle of the ring? and the
> following opamp?

It's a bipolar limiter - the diodes steer the current so that no
matter the input polarity the zener diodes are always reverse-biased.
I'm guessing that the top zener limits the maximum differential
voltage to 12V, and the two zeners to ground limit the maximum
common-mode deviation from 0V to +/- 12V.

Not a ring modulator.

Neil
--
http://www.njohnson.co.uk