[sdiy] SMD rework equipment

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Fri May 20 09:04:37 CEST 2016

The best iron is the one you are feeling comfortable with. Sharp tips
give you access to very dense areas, but they can't give much heat so
working on something bigger than 0402 is not so fun. Has it's use only
where nonthing else can reach. Regular tip and flux gel make wonders.
Stereovision microscope is a must. Magnifying glass leads to dizzyness
and headaches, cameras introduce lag and noise and are only 2D, also not
very nice.
Also helpful: hot tweezers with set of tips for various tasks, preheater
when you have huge board with a lot of copperfill, soldersucker for
cleaning holes from solder, solderwick for cleaning SMD pads, and good
supply of flux gel, maybe also Kapton tape for protecting near-by-rework
area, especially when using hotair gun. And hot air of course, very
popular in rework services, but I never used it. Did I mention flux gel?

Roman