[sdiy] SMD rework equipment

mark verbos mverbos at earthlink.net
Fri May 20 02:22:49 CEST 2016

Jason,

We do SMT stuff in my shop. We have a pick n place and oven for assembly, but the repairs, rework and final assembly is done by hand.
We have hot air, which works nicely for ICs but blows the 0603 passives away like dust in the wind.
I have a Weller induction based soldering station with a really fine tip and a tweezer attachment. This thing is great. My industry friends love to talk about Metcal, but like the Weller.
However, that’s not necessary. The other workstations in my shop are basically the same iron that you have  (our have a digital temperature readout I don’t recall the model) It works great for 95% of what needs to be done. I recommend you use lots of flux pen and solder wick. We use water clean flux and scrub with a toothbrush and distilled water after soldering something. It looks much nicer than a bunch of crusty flux on the board.

I have a magnifier with light around it. Just a glass, not a digital, camera thing. I tried the camera and screen thing, but I found it really hard to associate my hand with what I was looking at. A lot of the time I don’t need to magnify, and we use mostly 0603. I guess it depends on your eyes. Tweezer are my best friend. I have cheep ones and I have to have 5 pairs because all day long I keep losing them. I put them down on every table I stand in front of.

Mark