[sdiy] 1N4148 as replacements for Germaniumdiodes. You CAN get germanium diodes

Rob roomberg at ptd.net
Thu May 19 21:02:17 CEST 2016

I am not going to pretend that I am an electrical engineer that will
tell you how to replace
germanium diodes with any other diode flavor.

I ran into this problem with simple crystal radio circuits for scouts
last summer where
we could not purchase cat whisker germanium 1N34A diodes for the kids
unless we spent anywhere from
50 cents to 3 dollars to buy 1N34A new old stock diodes.

ALL new silicon diodes could be bought for a penny ... or less... so we
were a little dismayed that we could not
get 1N34A diodes that cheap.

Upon further searching I found that I could buy real germanium cat
whisker diodes from EBAY from Russian
and Bulgarian new old stock suppliers for pennies per diode so I
collected 1,000 germanium diodes
of 4 different flavors.
Each type looks like a cat whisker big glass envelope compared to a
silicon 1N4148 diode.
Each type works very well for reception in the simplest of crystal radio
circuit.

So if you have a circuit that MUST use germanium diodes... you can still
get them.
It was an interesting experiment and I didn't find
D9B USSR Germanium detector diodes until later...after this project:

http://www.learnmorsecode.com/help/xtal1.html

I ran into the same problem with germanium PNP transistor circuits for
RF signal strength meter
circuits.

and again... went to EBAY and found Russians selling germanium transistors.