[sdiy] Waveform mixing - normalization?

Paul Perry pfperry at melbpc.org.au
Wed May 11 05:41:28 CEST 2016

> . . . of course the simplest solution might be add an AGC on the output of
> the mixer, or on the output of a mixer for each oscillator i.e.
>
> Sine + sq + tri + pulse -> mixer with AGC -> =  module output

 I don't think that will work, on psychoacoustic grounds.
Because, an AGC works by trying to produce an equal average power
output - which works for uniform program material, but any synth noodler
knows that
some waveforms are 'percieved' louder than others, even at equal power,
dependign on
harmonic mix.

I'd advise making somew actual observations - listening and comparing
various
mixes. I don't think this can be solved from a theoretical viewpoint.

Fortunately, with signal generating software, it should be possible to do
this.

paul perry Melbourne Australia