[sdiy] Vibrato range

Tim Ressel timr at circuitabbey.com
Fri May 6 17:30:37 CEST 2016

Good point, Roman. I'm planning to use a PLL to drive a pair of clock
generator chips to create top octave frequencies. The PLL is so that I
can do vibrato. There is a PLL trick where you sneak in a signal to vary
the VCO without the PLL losing lock, thus FM-ing the VCO.

Static pitch bend is another issue. The trick of FM-ing a PLL does not
work for DC. Writing values to the clock chips directly uses I2C and a
cumbersome calculation and there is 13 outputs to update. I doubt that
will be fast enough for pitch bend. I am not sure how to implement a
clock that is both accurate and bendable. Guess I'll have to play.

--TimR

On 5/6/2016 1:02 AM, Roman Sowa wrote:
> How about PitchBend? Musicaly usefull vibrato may not have much detune
> range, probably less than +/-50 cents, but the same TOG will also have
> to take care of Pitch Bend, right? Default range is +/-2 semitones,
> but +/-1 octave is not uncommon.
> BTW, MIDI pitchbend range can be set by RPN message to a level beyond
> sanity.
>
> Roman
>
> W dniu 2016-05-05 o 16:30, Tim Ressel pisze:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I am constantly humbled by how much I do not know, just as I am amazed
>> and grateful at how helpful you all are. And once again I need a little
>> help. When doing vibrato -- frequency shift as opposed to time delay --
>> what is a typical range?
>>
>> Context: I am doing a top octave generator and am at looking at varying
>> the clock freq to implement vibrato.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> --Tim Ressel