[sdiy] CA3046 Heater / Substrate Question

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Fri May 6 10:44:49 CEST 2016

You say, Q3 base is at -1.8, but with no heating current (at start) Q3
emmiter is at about -0.7, determined by 2 small resistors and BE
junction of Q2. So the substrate is higher than Q3 base and all
transistors are connected now, no substrate isolation.
Loose the LED and it should work, but substrate will be at very low
negative voltage now, I'm not sure if it will not degrade expo pair
performance.
BTW, "better" is an enemy of "good". What is wrong with just 1
transistor heater?

Roman