[sdiy] What is DIY? (was Re: Digital delay memory)

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Wed May 4 23:41:49 CEST 2016

On Apr 29, 2016, at 4:09 PM, john slee <indigoid at oldcorollas.org> wrote:
> It's not without its downsides, though. Owning your own equipment means you alone are responsible for its operating condition... Often stuff in hackerspaces cops a bit of abuse. I have to revalidate my laser settings every time I visit the space in case something changed, eg. someone realigned (for better or worse) the cutting bed.

We're lucky here in Seattle to have Metrix Create:Space. They calibrate the laser before every run, and they don't allow customers to operate the lasers. Considering that a lot of their gear is hundreds of thousands of dollars, it makes sense that they wouldn't allow just anyone to walk up and poke around. However, the coffee machine say unused for a while until someone fixed it. I guess their priorities are more for the tech and less for the accoutrements.

Brian