[sdiy] What is DIY? (was Re: Digital delay memory)

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Wed May 4 23:12:03 CEST 2016

To me, DIY is doing everything myself, which is how I built my modular (and
helped create one of the larger eurorack synth companies in the process).
My problem with DIY is that I suck at doing most of it, so my modular has a
definitely "amateurish" look to it.  For panels, I bake Lazertran onto bare
aluminum.  It's not ideal as they don't always turn out perfect, but it's
quick and cheap, and that is the main thing for me.  I made my cases out of
scrap wood from old school bookshelves that had been thrown away -- again,
cheap was the main criterion -- but I suck at woodworking.  For layouts, I
use Excel and then etch my own boards from the graphics I make.  I started
doing this for breadboards, and then realized I could do it for PCBs as
well.  It's slow and cumbersome, but I enjoy it and I don't feel like
learning Eagle or whatever.  For schematics I do everything in Multisim -- I
love those simulations!

I guess the only thing I'm really good at is the actual circuit design,
which is why Intellijel is so much more successful than my own modular
building adventures.

  _____