[sdiy] What is DIY? (was Re: Digital delay memory)

Paul B bamford.paul at gmail.com
Wed May 4 10:43:44 CEST 2016

Last night I was finishing off building an itead pcb and panel order I'd
done from tom whitwells files and my wife said "Oh my god did you do that
all yourself?"

Obviously I said yes but nbd and polished my nails but in my head I was
thinking the number of parts I didn't do myself is far more than those I
did.

I'm looking forward to maybe being able to draw schems and laying out pcbs
and etch them and design and manufacture panels and design and build a nice
new case, that is the diy endgame for me.

But I'm not interested in smelting aluminium or perfecting anodising
processes or writing code or breaking new barriers of electronics.

I know this may draw scorn from some of the long in the tooth EEs who can
fart out a VCO in an afternoon, but I'm not alone.

There's an insurgence of emerging amatuer makers who want to be part of an
exciting feild and they bring with them a full spectrum of what DIY is.

Long Live the New Flesh!