[sdiy] What is DIY? (was Re: Digital delay memory)

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Wed May 4 09:56:06 CEST 2016

Maybe we all talk about 2 unrelated areas: something that was called DIY
20 years ago, and DIY-kit mania, that is somehow recent thing, when
people just solder PCB provided in the kit, attach panel, case and so
on, and expect everything to fit.

For me DIY is anything I can do myself, and because I'm happy to have
all that equippment now, I can DIY on much higher level than 10 years
ago, be it circuits, panels, cases, or furniture. It's far from DIY-kit
concept, as most of it is unorganized and large parts of the design are
made on the go, while next steps of making pass. And because I have
those tools, I like to utilize them, so that affects the whole idea of
DIY, starting from product concept. So even if I documented all the
process, this still would not look like DIY to most home
soldering/building enthusiasts. But it is DIY for me, because I did all
myself.

SMD is still scarry to most people, just like it was 20 years ago when I
started using it. And probably will be in 20 years from now, especially
when packages will become much smaller than today.
But that's no stopper for DIY-kit movement, as more and more projects
are made using premade hardware blocks and software libraries, so you
can just plug the boards together, add a few lines of code and upload
firmware. I think this is the future of DIY, less hardware making
struggle, more imagination beyond limits.

Roman