[sdiy] From a commercial standpoint -- has Eurorack "won"?

Tim Ressel timr at circuitabbey.com
Tue May 3 21:19:40 CEST 2016

Good stuff, Jay.

One thing that frustrates me during module design is CV range. First you
have the LFO/EG dilemma. LFOs tend to be bipolar where EGs tend to be
unipolar. Then the module under design inherently wants a certain range.
The best solution is to have attenverters and offset pots on all CV
inputs. But of course now you have a front panel with 1000 knobs. One
can get quite gray sorting this out.  Trust me ;-)

On the issue of "crappy graphics", we are talking about artists here. A
certain amount of 'out there' is expected and tolerated. However it can
go too far, and has. I have modules labelled in Russian. The only way I
can use the thing at all is the layout is well done so all the controls
are obvious. I also have a module that I can never remember how it all
works because it uses graphics only, no text. And the graphics are not
obvious.

And then there was the guy who groused about the font I used. Not
because it was unreadable, oh no, you can read it just fine. He just
didn't like it. Bottom line: you can't please everyone, so don't even try.

--TimR

On 5/3/2016 10:38 AM, Jay Schwichtenberg wrote:
> [...]

--Tim Ressel
Circuit Abbey
timr at circuitabbey.com