[sdiy] From a commercial standpoint -- has Eurorack "won"?

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Tue May 3 11:04:33 CEST 2016

Den 3 maj 2016 12:57 fm skrev "Gordonjcp" <gordonjcp at gjcp.net>:

> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 11:46:11PM +0100, Tom Wiltshire wrote:
> >
> > In general, I'd say more synths suffer from too many features than too
few. Learning when to stop is crucial!!

Very true! And, agreeably, not easy!

> Wasn't this the whole point of the Minimoog? :-D

Good point. The first self-controlled synth in history. :-)

> I wondered for a long time why no synths (or okay, very few synths, the
Redsound Darkstar springs to mind) don't let you modulate the resonance of
the filter with an envelope or LFO.  "Bet that would be easy with a
modular!" but very few modular VCFs have a voltage-controlled resonance
input.

It's mainly because resonance is not a voltage-controlled parameter in most
filter designs. It's just a potentiometer in the resonance feedback loop.
For one or more of several reasons, few designers choose to construct a VC
replacement for it.

Unless it's a modern digitally controlled analog synths, then we do it all
the time as Paul M pointed out.

> I think it's easy to lose sight of what you're trying to do and just go
"oh I bet I could add a knob for..." without thinking whether or not it's
actually going to be useful.  I know I do that, although I'm trying hard
not to.

Yes. We need to be more aware of that. It's important to restrict a synth
to a well chosen feature set. Without restrictions, it's not an instrument.

/mr