[sdiy] From a commercial standpoint -- has Eurorack "won"?

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Tue May 3 00:57:09 CEST 2016

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 11:46:11PM +0100, Tom Wiltshire wrote:

> In general, I'd say more synths suffer from too many features than too few. Learning when to stop is crucial!!

Wasn't this the whole point of the Minimoog? :-D

While it's possible to patch together modular synths in an incredible variety of different ways, if you want anything other than swooshing noises or collossal electronic farting noises, you tend to go oscillator->filter->amplifier, with maybe an lfo driving the oscillator pitch and a couple of envelopes to drive the filter cutoff and amplifier level.

I wondered for a long time why no synths (or okay, very few synths, the Redsound Darkstar springs to mind) don't let you modulate the resonance of the filter with an envelope or LFO.  "Bet that would be easy with a modular!" but very few modular VCFs have a voltage-controlled resonance input.  "Oh it's easy with digital" and indeed it is - so I tried it.  It sounded pretty crap, really.  Not a particularly exciting noise at all.  Nowhere near as useful as sweeping the cutoff, certainly.

I think it's easy to lose sight of what you're trying to do and just go "oh I bet I could add a knob for..." without thinking whether or not it's actually going to be useful.  I know I do that, although I'm trying hard not to.

--
Gordonjcp MM0YEQ