[sdiy] From a commercial standpoint -- has Eurorack "won"?

john slee indigoid at oldcorollas.org
Tue May 3 00:19:49 CEST 2016

On 3 May 2016 at 07:35, KA4HJH <ka4hjh at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I really don't like about Euro are the tiny knobs and the need for
> extra panels just to bring out all the desirable jacks on some modules.
> Modules that are expensive to begin with.

Yes. This. Doepfer has notably avoided the cramped (relative to the rest of
Eurorack) layouts. And quite a lot of his modules are 8hp or wider. In this
at least his designs are closer to 5U/Serge than the rest of Eurorack, in
that he works on a consistent grid and has a predictable, uniform aesthetic.

I feel like many of the other manufacturers have missed something important.

In particular, when their panel designs are so spectacularly illegible that
people pay willingly extra money for replacements, something is horribly
wrong.

John