[sdiy] From a commercial standpoint -- has Eurorack "won"?

Jay Schwichtenberg jays at aracnet.com
Sun May 1 21:09:45 CEST 2016

I'd say that Euro has more or less become defacto standard. Yes there are some things out there that aren't that great but also some really neat stuff. I more or less work in electronics and know what the right way of doing things is. There is a lot of Euro stuff out there that is just done wrong. PCBs with values on the silk screen not designators, parts that don't fit boards, boards not done right because of power and signal issues, mediocre to no documentation and so on.... For me the real big issue is the power system. They could of keyed the connectors and every module should have reverse voltage protection.

I started to build my system a few years ago before Euro became real main stream. My only real experience with it was with the Doepfer stuff. My friend got a large system when they were turning out garbage and there was going to be a lot of work to replace a lot of jacks and pots. He ended up selling it and went with MOTM/5U. So I ended up going Frac with Blacet.

The reasons were:
* Needed a smaller format because I wanted a big synth in a small house. Main reason for the larger formats is ease of use for real time performances. I figure if I need that an external controller patched in can handle that.
* I really like to build things and I can solder really well. The kit option is a great way to do that.
* Lastly and very important is the quality of the modules. Blacet gear is top notch.
* Only real disadvantage is there could be a few more modules in the product line. A few more filters/signal modifiers, ring modulator and some form of slew/lag.

Jay S.