[sdiy] Looking for a tinny MIDI controller (patch change needs for Roland GR-55)

Jean-Pierre Desrochers jpdesroc at oricom.ca
Sun May 1 03:02:16 CEST 2016

> My impression is that Jean-Pierre already knows that he doesn't need
> access to all 900 presets. He seems happy to have just 18 by copying
> the selected presets into the User banks. I think the whole point here
> is to find an easy way to audition all 900 presets using a simple
> Up/Down interface, and only after listening to them all will he pick
> the most usable 18.
>
> Thus, the design requirements for the Up/Down audition buttons is that
> they might access all 900 presets in the GR-55.
> The design requirements for the normal, performance mode buttons is
> that 18 presets is enough, so long as he can hand-select which ones
> they are.

Brian you exactly understood my starting point..

> My only added comment is that Jean-Pierre should make sure that the 18
> buttons also specify the User Bank when sending presets. Otherwise, if
> the GR-55 happens to be on a different Bank than User, the only
> presets that can be accessed are the first 18 of that non-User Bank.

My controller is programmed so far to only access the first 18 USER
presets
whatever bank/preset position I'm on just before my new selection. I did
those tests in the design process..
Whenever I'm on any other banks than the USER, pushing any of my 18
switches
will get me to the USER' specific preset.

I've probably been not enough clear in my explainations
of what I was looking for.
I do apologize and thank you all.

J-Pierre

Le 2016-04-30 19:06, rsdio at audiobanshee.com a écrit :
> My impression is that Jean-Pierre already knows that he doesn't need
> access to all 900 presets. He seems happy to have just 18 by copying
> the selected presets into the User banks. I think the whole point here
> is to find an easy way to audition all 900 presets using a simple
> Up/Down interface, and only after listening to them all will he pick
> the most usable 18.
>
> Thus, the design requirements for the Up/Down audition buttons is that
> they might access all 900 presets in the GR-55.
> The design requirements for the normal, performance mode buttons is
> that 18 presets is enough, so long as he can hand-select which ones
> they are.
>
> My only added comment is that Jean-Pierre should make sure that the 18
> buttons also specify the User Bank when sending presets. Otherwise, if
> the GR-55 happens to be on a different Bank than User, the only
> presets that can be accessed are the first 18 of that non-User Bank.
>
> Brian Willoughby
> Sound Consulting
>

> On Apr 30, 2016, at 3:46 PM, Tom Wiltshire <tom at electricdruid.net>
> wrote:
>> I also agree with Quincas - you don't actually *need* access to all
>> the presets. 127 sounds like plenty to me too. You need access to your
>> selection of the best presets. This might make the problem easier, or
>> more difficult!

« L'indépendance, c'est comme un pont :
avant, personne n'en veut, après, tout le monde le prend. »
Félix Leclerc