[sdiy] Looking for a tinny MIDI controller (patch change needs for Roland GR-55)

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sun May 1 00:24:51 CEST 2016

In my estimation, you already have the perfect platform for sending the Up/Down MIDI Preset system that you need.

I predict that you will not find any existing product that already solves the desired feature of stepping through all GR-55 Presets. Because of the banking setup, nothing will be well-suited other than the GR-55 controller itself.

That means your only remaining option is some kind of programmable platform where you can create the feature yourself. The key is that you already have a programmable platform, with source code and schematic. I recommend that you enhance the PIC firmware to add the feature that you want. Perhaps, holding button 18 during power-up would create a temporary mode where buttons 18 and 17 implement the Up/Down feature, including knowledge of the specific GR-55 Banks and the number of Presets in each GR-55 bank. The PIC firmware could exit this temporary mode as soon as you push another button. This doesn't even conflict with the existing feature where buttons 1 through 16 select the MIDI channel at startup.

I realize that my suggestion requires that you be able to program the PIC, both in terms of writing the source code and loading the Flash on the PIC, but these steps are going to be necessary no matter what platform you buy.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting