[sdiy] HV capacitors for tube amp

cheater00 . cheater00 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 21:21:22 CET 2016

Hi guys,
I have to replace the DC HV filter capacitors on my Mesa head. They're 450V
electrolytics running at maybe 420V and have a footprint of 12mm at the
base. They dried out after ~6 years. I would like to replace them with good
ones that have very low ESR in the audio range. This amp has a problem
where gain stages leak to each other, and I suspect that happens through
the HV bus. If need be I can use capacitors with a different footprint, I
could build a scaffold since everything is TH.

Is there anything that would suggest against using MKT capacitors here?

I also thought about using pairs of large and small capacitor to compliment
frequency response of impedance.

Links to suppliers or part #'s would be great.

Thanks