[sdiy] Silver series TL074/84 op amps

Nils Pipenbrinck n.pipenbrinck at hilbert-space.de
Sat Mar 19 20:48:38 CET 2016

On 03/19/2016 08:27 PM, Tim Stinchcombe wrote:
> Hi list,

Hi Tim,

The photos in that thread look very dodgy instead because you can read
the old marking through the silver paint.

I have come across some silver plated IC packages before. I have a few
CA3140 here that are coated. Phillips did silver printing on transistors
for a while. I have a bunch of BC558 transistors here that are silver
coated with black printing. They are the real thing.

Nowadays the profit margin for bread-and-butter chips is so low, that I
doubt any manufacturer would take the extra step to put paint on the
chips, but I could be wrong.

So either they are *very* old or fake. In any case I would avoid them.

Anyway, in the thread I've seen CA3046 chips. Are these rare these days?
I still have a tube or two laying around.

Nils