[sdiy] any thoughts on what this part may be?

Travis Thatcher recompas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 22:07:18 CET 2016

Weird! I actually heard back from Allen Organ:

Travis: Thank you for your inquiry. The item you have circled is an
LDR. This item has a photo cell on one end and a light bulb on the
other end. It's used to turn circuits on and off. Most times just the
bulb goes bad and would need to be replaced. You will need to go to
the local Allen dealer for replacement items for this assembly. I’ve
listed the contact information below and copied them on this message.
Feel free to contact them directly.

Never would have guessed LDR. Very curious to see if the local branch
has any, have a call in to them.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I'll take some gut pics of the
broken one taken apart when I get back to my friend's place. The
harpsichord is really pretty fascinating - lots of relays and really
large bundles of brittle, thin wire carrying all the signals. There
are two large frames, one for the 8' oscillators and one for the 4'
ones, all are coil based.