[sdiy] Raspberry Pi 2 B Synthesizer Project Progress

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sun Mar 13 07:25:29 CET 2016

The high latency is most likely due to the fact that you're running Linux and ALSA, instead of bare metal (or RTOS) and direct to the CODEC via I2S peripheral access. The choice of the C language should not impede your ability to drop the latency, if you want lower latency.

I almost thought you wrote that the measurement granularity was 6.4 ms, but I see that it's actually 6.4 us - and that should be plenty. It's less than one audio sample at 48 kHz or 96 kHz, although it's not quite fine enough to measure individual samples at 192 kHz.

I only say this is high latency because I believe you should be able to reduce that drastically with proper design. However, even if you don't care to reduce the latency, the most important factor is to have as close to a constant latency as possible. Random latency is far more disruptive to music than constant latency.

When running ALSA on Linux, you're basically getting typical desktop/laptop performance. Embedded systems make it possible to circumvent an operating system entirely and reduce the latency significantly, and thus bring you into a realm of performance that's not possible with a desktop/laptop system.

Brian Willoughby