[sdiy] Variable power supply

john slee indigoid at oldcorollas.org
Sun Mar 6 09:29:33 CET 2016

I had one of these cheapo Tenma dual supplies for a while. I found that it
would behave very inappropriately in the dual-tracking mode and do things
like turn off one (not both) rail if I changed the voltage. From what I've
read on list postings here, this can be very very bad if you are using
certain ICs... I think the SSM2164 [and presumably its Coolaudio clone] was
one of these?

I also just didn't like the panel controls.

I replaced it with a Rigol DP832 and have been very happy ever since.
Highly recommended! Besides the better UI, it has a third rail for 0-5V
tasks — I found this useful as a quick, precise CV source when calibrating
VCOs

John