[sdiy] Non maximal-length LFSR

Dave Manley dlmanley at sonic.net
Sat Mar 5 18:05:15 CET 2016

I brought it up in this context only because many comments were made that you only get one new bit per shift - true for single bit shifts but overlooks multi bit shifts. It is an aside to the original topic.

And yes, what I described is more typically done in digital logic. Running a parallel scrambler at the bit rate div 16, 32, or 128 is much easier to implement in today's CMOS processes than a serial scrambler when the serial bit clock is 10 to 12.5 GHz (sub 100ps clock periods).

I remember well the "good old days" where 5 micron CMOS ASICS had a hard time doing DS-1 rates, and gallium arsenide was going to kill off CMOS at DS-3 and above.

-Dave