[sdiy] Audio circuits and basicelectronics knowledge recommendation.

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Fri Mar 4 19:44:29 CET 2016

No chlorine is released from hydrochloric acid.  The chlorine in HCl is in
the form of chloride, which is the same thing in table salt.  If you use too
much peroxide, you may have a bit of gassing (oxygen) and this can carry out
some hydrogen chloride gas (the gaseous form of hydrochloric acid) which can
make your eyes water and make you sneeze.  It's best to do this etch in a
well ventilated area.  HCl is dangerous (as is any strong acid), so you have
to be careful.  We are adults -- take precautions.  The worst thing about
HCl is storing it.  If you store the jug near anything made of steel, it
will rust.  I keep mine out in the back yard.

Also, the least active agent in the solution is the chlorine.  Here's how
the HCl peroxide etching of copper works:

The peroxide oxidizes copper metal to copper II (cupric):

Cu + H2O2 + 2 HCl --> CuCl2 + 2 H2O

Then, the cupric oxidizes the copper metal to copper I (cuprous).  Cuprous
is not stable in water, but the chloride ions complex the cuprous, which
stabilizes it:

Cu + CuCl2 --> 2 CuCl

Hence, the copper leaches itself.  The peroxide just gets the process
started (and makes it go faster).  This process would not work with, for
example, sulfuric acid, because sulfate ions do not complex cuprous ions, so
the second reaction wouldn't work in a sulfate bath.  This only works in a
chloride bath -- hence, the need for HCl.