[sdiy] Midi Polyphony question

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Thu Mar 3 17:36:52 CET 2016

This is not a simple subject and in my view depends on exactly what the
synth is doing.  I've recently developed a Karplus-Strong string synth
that measures the amplitude of each voice and when a new note-on message
arrives and all voices are busy, the voice with the least current
amplitude is stolen.  Other synths are done with oldest note, or
round-robin, but in all cases, my code uses voice theft, just with
different algorithms to compute which voice to steal.  In no case do I
simply drop a note, or let the note play late.