[sdiy] Non maximal-length LFSR

nvawter nvawter at media.mit.edu
Thu Mar 3 15:53:14 CET 2016

Hi Richie!

I've played a lot with LFSRs and non-maximal ones.  I figured out lots
of things with short, tonal ones!  Great timbre space, there.  I did
that all with perl, like someone else on this thread and analyzing to
find redundant waveforms....  Remind me to publish that at some point...

Anyway, w/r/t to compromising length for maximizing efficiency:
You can make the longest LFSRs with a very simple computation.
The computation is merely a shift and 3 XOR operations.  You're probably
already familiar with it.
Take a look at:
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1274550&page_number=2
http://courses.cse.tamu.edu/csce680/walker/lfsr_table.pdf

You'll see to make extremely long sequence, you only need to XOR the two
proper bits, XOR that operation and feed it
to the input of the shift register.   If you hunt, you'll find the tap
locations for even longer sequences, but the
principle is the same, you only need to combine two bits with three XORs
to produce the new bit.

I don't think you'll get any simpler computation that that!  The latency
is two clock cycles and the resources are absolutely minimal.

Let us know if this isn't what you were thinking :)

BTW when I first did my search, many sources weren't that hot and showed
much more complex polynomials to get LFSRs that appeared to grow in
complexity with the sequence length.  They are deceiving.  You only need
two taps, even for trillions of bits :)