[sdiy] Non maximal-length LFSR

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Thu Mar 3 11:54:25 CET 2016

I've done some experiments with simulations of non-maximal length sequences for the same reasons you're considering it. "Not worth it" was my conclusion.

The trouble is that for non-maximal length sequences, you break the output up into several cycles instead of one. So yes, starting value is key, because that decides which one of the non-maxmal series you'll get. Also you no longer get *all* the values output, so you can't guarantee that you'll get a unbiased result, although in practice for long LFSRs, it seems like you get something near enough for audio. If you do the experiments with short LFSRs (like 5 or 6 bits) you can find combinations which do give a serious bias, but it gets harder as the numbers go up.

I agree with Ove. Use the 47-bit register and ignore the top bit. It'll give you a better result than a degenerate 48-bit register would anyway.

HTH,
Tom