[sdiy] Nord Modular DIY

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Wed Mar 2 21:25:28 CET 2016

Hi Tim,

I was going to suggest that an actual DSP chip, such as TMS320 or SHARC, would be a much better choice for a large modular. It's true that a generic processor like the STM32 can do quite a lot of signal processing, but DSP chips are designed to accomplish an order of magnitude more in the same amount of time and power. Seeing Rutger's comment that the Nord runs on multiple SHARC chips sort of makes my point.

By the way, I'd recommend against combining WiFi (radio) and audio signal generation in the same product. It's doable, but seriously increases the challenges. Digital is already difficult to get right when it comes to generating analog signals. Having radio interference generated on the same board just seems to be asking for trouble.

Brian