[sdiy] small scale purchasing?

Michael Zacherl sdiy-mz01 at blauwurf.info
Mon Jul 4 16:08:53 CEST 2016

Hi,
just had a rather interesting talk with a friend who I help with the electronics part for his project.
At some point I sensed a complete unawareness what’s a price to justify for a particular component and what not.

At the first glance it was easy to say “I won’t pay 10c (€) for a 5% TH resistor” but then I realised the other side where getting, say, 3000 E24 1% metal film resistors (i.e. 25 of each value) from Ebay isn’t that much wiser (from my POV).
I doesn’t help if a single resistor costs me “only” 1.5c when OTOH I got loads of unused parts of potentially  exotic value in the drawer at some point after the project.

How do you handle that, asking the ones not having that large volume, i.e. doing the occasional project and not selling kits and such?

cheers, Michael.