[sdiy] dsPIC PWM

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri Jul 1 21:17:39 CEST 2016

On 1 Jul 2016, at 16:04, rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk wrote:

>> On the subject of PWM, does anyone know how the "High-speed PWM" in
>> Microchip's Motor Control dsPICs actually works?
>
> Actually just found this explanation...
>
> http://www.microchip.com/forums/m379794.aspx
>
> It looks like the clock frequency is indeed multiplied up to a very high rate (480 MHz) and both the rising and falling edges are used for the PWM clock, giving an effective PWM clock rate of 960MHz (0.96GHz,) or 1.04ns resolution!
>
> Might be useful for DCO-type oscillator applications like this:
>
> http://electricdruid.net/roland-juno-dcos/
>
> It will be a lot easier to hit those high-pitched notes exactly when dividing down from such a high master clock frequency.  I gather that some of the Motor Control dsPICs can also have independent period values set for the different PWM output pins too, so they might make a good modern replacement for the humble 8253 Programmable Interval Timer!
>
> -Richie

I did some investigation into this when the Prophet 08 came out (it uses a 33FJ128MCxxx processor). On that chip you can't set different timebases for the PWM channels, but the chip has four 32-bit timers that can be clocked at 40MHz. On the assumption that those were used for generating the DCO timing(reset) pulses, I worked out that the frequency error for even the highest MIDI notes is always below 0.2 of a cent. For most of the range, it's an order of magnitude better than that.

The high speed PWM might offer an improvement, but you won't actually notice!

Tom