[sdiy] 1v /oct with ADC question

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Dec 3 01:28:02 CET 2016

Yes, it does seem a little bizarre since all other CV was disconnected from any real analog source. Perhaps they did not want to incur the latency of a scanned keyboard and DAC. With the design as they have it, the keyboard can directly control the VCO, even if the modulation for the VCO that is added comes from a DAC.

I can't tell from the Source schematic - because it's broken across several pages and hard to read quickly - but it's theoretically possible that the keyboard CV could be applied directly to CV mixers for each VCO control input. Octave, Pitch Bend, Modulation, Pitch Envelope and other CV sources would be mixed in (added), but those could come from a DAC in some cases, as opposed to live, analog CV.

I also wonder whether Sequential Circuits and/or E-mu had a patent on keyboard scanning at the time. They certainly invented it. What we take for granted now was not always standard.

Brian