[sdiy] What is DIY? (was Re: Digital delay memory)

Jason Tribbeck jason at tribbeck.com
Fri Apr 29 22:59:57 CEST 2016

"A manual pick and place machine?"

I got my first PCB made using Eagle at Eurocircuits a couple of years ago,
and while perusing their site, I loved some of their kit. I went to a trade
show, and saw it first hand, and decided that it was the equipment we
needed.

When my new role was officially announced, I basically went on a spending
spree with them, so got pretty much everything from
http://www.eurocircuits.com/new-smd-reflow-equipment - it's the eC-placer.

The only thing I haven't bought yet is the eC-tester. It's in my approved
budget, so it's just a matter of ordering it when I need one (or if I need
one).

There is no way that I would expect DIY people to have that kind of
equipment though - what I built up (at home) over the years was:

- Inkjet printer for printing transparencies
- UV box (it's probably 18 years old, and I'm hoping the bulbs never go in
it!)
- PCB etch tank (this is relatively new - probably 8 years old. Also not
essential for DIY, because you can use a tray, like I did beforehand)
- PCB software (Eagle is what I used - I did have the professional version
so I wasn't limited in any way, but that's also not essential for DIY. I'm
sure other software is also very capable).
- BitScope logic analyser and 2-channel oscilloscope
- Various FPGA development kits (and FPGA programmer)
- Various MCU programmers (starting with PicKit, then PicKit2, PicKit3,
ICD3, STM-Link)

I certainly wouldn't want to try to do the accuracy of the boards I can
make using laser+magazine approach, and I never had any luck with the laser
transfer stuff (iron-on blue, IIRC).

I did get better and better at making the PCBs - I still get the occasional
short where a hair got onto the transparency that causes a short, or a bit
of a blob from nowhere in particular. The first FPGA board was also my
first double-sided (with wires between the layers instead of PTH). That was
exciting to do! Tinning the boards also helps a lot.

With Eagle, I use one of Eurocircuits' DRC checks slightly modified with a
larger restring and it works well.

The last error I had was in my first Altium board where I'd left it at the
default clearance of 8mil - I didn't realise it until I'd done the
transparency, and thought "well, let's give it a go and see what happens".

I do want to do a demonstration of SMT soldering to some DIY electronics
people I know - but, unfortunately, the Meetup group that I belong to
doesn't meet that often (once in the past two years). I don't think SMT is
that difficult - although my eyesight is good which helps tremendously.