[sdiy] What is DIY? (was Re: Digital delay memory)

Rob Spencer rob at gmsn.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 21:59:54 CEST 2016

A manual pick and place machine?

Tell me more!

We've been thinking about doing a pick and place along the same lines as the CNC kits you can get from places like Oozenest.

I'm not sure what DIY means for me tbh. I'm enjoying applying a lot of the hackerspace type stuff to SDIY and finding you can do a lot of personal manufacturing without paying tens of thousands of pounds. We've come a very long way in the past few years in terms of doing the types of things at home, which R&D teams struggled to do 10 years ago.

Panels for example... I can order aluminum sheet online, take it round to my silkscreen pal, who prints a design made in Illustrator (the subscription version). These are then cut on a CNC made from a £700 kit. It's a manufacturing process that costs about £1k end to end. It's been a struggle to get the process down, but I guess the challenge is solving those little problems.

Hmm, maybe that's what DIY is for me: solving the "next" problem without the resources available to big businesses :)

Kind regards

Rob
07590 267835