[sdiy] What is DIY? (was Re: Digital delay memory)

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri Apr 29 21:24:39 CEST 2016

On 29 Apr 2016, at 19:46, Jason Tribbeck <jason at tribbeck.com> wrote:

> Maybe that could be the topic of another thread - what is DIY? What can be expected of people?

I think it varies hugely. Or put another way, we're not all Jürgen Haible.

My own DIY has improved enormously over the years as my knowledge and experience have grown. One of the things that's important to me now is trying to design projects that will inspire people to try something a bit further on from what they might have otherwise tried. I've been using PICs to try and reduce the number of components in classic circuits and make them easier to manage. Basically, I'm trying to design the stuff that I would have wished for when I was starting out.

Personally, I don't have access to anything like your lab resources, Jason, and I doubt that people I'm designing for do either, so through-hole is pretty much essential. I try to avoid needing an oscilloscope to trim a circuit, since although I've got one, many people don't. The scope is to help the *designer*, not the *builder*. I assume only that they can solder reasonably well (although I design boards with *far* wider tolerances than you're doing) and that they have a multimeter. I've started doing stomp box stuff recently, and the people who build that are…well, they're *guitarists*! They know which end of the soldering iron to hold, mostly. I'm joking, but the point is serious - some of the people involved in music DIY aren't technical people at all. And this is a good thing. Perhaps some of them will become interested and take it further. After all, I did.

Tom