[sdiy] Digital delay memory

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Thu Apr 28 01:21:14 CEST 2016

Regarding SPI, one of the Microchip devices mentioned (1024 kbits)
supports the 4 line SQI format, so their transfer speed is significantly
faster than plain SPI.  Does require 3 more pins.

The thing that disappoints me is that the dsPIC33F is too old to have
SQI built in.  Dunno about dsPIC33E, but that doesn't have the 16 bit
DACs.  The DMA devices are quite powerful in the dsPIC and operate in
parallel with the CPU which would make the quad interface nice.  I use
SPI DMA with those devices on a dsPIC, but it's fast enough to do only
delay really.  One can also use 2 RAM chips and 2 SPI channels for a bit
more throughput as well as double the RAM size.

-- ScottG