[sdiy] Silvered mica caps in VCO core integrators

Ian Fritz ijfritz at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 23:43:40 CEST 2016

Tony --

Thank for your thoughtful response.  A couple of comments.

What is the relevance of something working as well as it did 17 years
ago?  Why wouldn't it? And what does that have to do with using a mica
cap?  I have lots of circuits built 40 years ago that still work fine.

I'm glad that you brought up FM applications, as this is one area where
good tracking and stability have a big advantage.  And actually, going
by message board traffic, there has been a fair amount of interest in FM
recently.

"If it works for you, it works." Well, obviously.  But if you are
talking about manufacturing something would't you be more concerned
about your customers' needs? Hmmm..., use a more expensive inferior
part. Doesn't seem like good business sense to me.

But after all is said and done, this really isn't rocket science.  It's
basically trivial to achieve the level of performance I mentioned.  I
demonstrated it many years ago (1998).  It only requires careful choice
of a few critical components. I never considered mica timing caps,
because I had read that they have soakage issues and that everyone
prefered polystyrene. The Bob Pease work certainly confirmed this.

But you still haven't told us exactly how well your mica VCO works.
Would you by any chance have some data you could share with us?

Thanks for your interest.

Ian

--
ijfritz.byethost4.com