[sdiy] Silvered mica caps in VCO core integrators

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Sun Apr 17 08:52:27 CEST 2016

I'm inclined to agree.  As far as Ian Fritz's "modern standard" is
concerned, I seriously doubt that you could find any synth modules for sale
in any format (with the possible exception of his own designs) that conform
to that standard -- not even close.  Most commercial synth VCOs track
decently over only 5 or 6 octaves.  My "Dixie" design (as sold by
Intellijel) tracks 10 to 12 octaves within 0.1% error when properly
calibrated, and it doesn't even use an exponential converter -- it uses a
2164 VCA as expo converter, with another 2164 VCA for temperature
compensation.  There is a two-transistor expo converter -- as a
high-frequency correction circuit, injecting anti-error current into the CV
summer.  It's probably the best tracking VCO in eurorack format, and I'd put
it up against anything in 5U.  I doubt that will be affected significantly
if I use a mica cap in the core.